| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The house was built for William Waugh Smith, 1845-1912, President of Randolph-Macon College and founder of Randolph-Macon Academy, Bedford, Virginia (1890, now defunct); Randolph-Macon Academy, Front Royal, Virginia (1891); and Randolph-Macon Women's College (1893).Smith thus created the Randolph-Macon system of which he was first chancellor.
The building was used for faculty apartments, then sold to a private owner, then bought back and converted to use for the Treasurer's Office in 1997.
Irby, Richard. History of Randolph-Macon College, Virginia. The Oldest Incorporated Methodist College in America. Richmond, VA: Whittel and Shepperson, general printers, 1898.
Scanlon, James E. Randolph-Macon College: A Southern History 1825-1967. Charlottesville, VA: University Press of Virginia, 1983.
Virginia Landmarks Historic Commission. Randolph-Macon College Complex. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ Park Service, 1979.
Wilson, Richard Guy, et al. Buildings of Virginia: Tidewater and Piedmont. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.