| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Pace-Armistead Hall forms part of the Randolph-Macon Historic Campus on the National Registry of Historic Places. Built in 1876-1877, the building housed classrooms and chemistry labs until 1970. It originally had a library of the department of chemistry on the first floor, and a history library on the second floor. From 1970 to 1997 only the first floor was used, as painting studios. Fully restored in 1997-1998, it is now houses painting and drawing studios and exhibition space.
The Hall stands parallel to Washington and Franklin Hall. The rectangular, two-story, stretcher-bond brick building was designed in the Italianate style. The main (south) elevation is dominated by a two-story central pavilion containing the building's main entrance. The entry is comprised of a double doorway with paneled doors, surmounted by a two-light transom set within a recessed arch. The entrance is flanked by 4/4 hung-sash sidelights, also arched. Separated by a stone belt course, the pavilion's second story contains paired 6/6 hung-sash windows crowned by segmental-arched heads. The pavilion is topped by a pedimented gable. The composition is flanked by a projecting bay featuring 6/6 hung-sash windows with segmental-arched stone heads. The windows are visually connected on each story by stone bands which run from the imposts of the arched heads. A modillion block cornice runs the perimeter of the building's eaves course. The north elevation is comprised of six bays, and fenestration consists of 6/6 hung-sash windows with arched heads. A belt course divides the elevation into two stories. The east and west elevations consist of five bays, the fenestration similar to that found on the north elevation.
James B. Pace, a leading Richmond tobacconist and banker, was a major donor to Randolph-Macon College.
Irby, Richard. History of Randolph-Macon College, Virginia. The Oldest Incorporated Methodist College in America. Richmond, VA: Whittel and Shepperson, general printers, 1898.
Scanlon, James E. Randolph-Macon College: A Southern History 1825-1967. Charlottesville, VA: University Press of Virginia, 1983.
Virginia Landmarks Historic Commission. Randolph-Macon College Complex. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ Park Service, 1979.
Wilson, Richard Guy, et al. Buildings of Virginia: Tidewater and Piedmont. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.