| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Francis Hall was built in stages from 1893-1898 over an existing main building. Francis Hall, as it now stands, is the fourth home of Quincy University (which was originally called St. Francis Solanus College). The first permanent College building was constructed in 1870. By the 1890s, this building was too small, and so an east wing was constructed in 1893 and a west wing in 1894. Then the old main center building was removed, and a new center building with a tower was erected in 1898. Everything used for Francis Hall was locally manufactured, and the construction was done by local German craftsmen. Although he had no formal training, Fr. Nicholas Leonard, who was the College president, designed and supervised the building.
Francis Hall is the centerpiece of Quincy University. The bell tower has become the university logo and symbol and is used on stationary and public information materials. Every student, since 1893, has had at least one class in Francis Hall, making it a very important and beloved building on campus.
Falcon. 1929. Saint Francis Solanus College, Quincy, IL.
Francis Hall [Quincy University]. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, n.d.
Jubilee: Saint Francis Solanus College, Quincy, Illinois: April Twenty-Eighth to July Eleventh, Nineteen Twelve: A Keepsake for Alumni, Friends, and Students. Booklet. [Quincy, IL: s.n.], 1912.