| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This building is part of the original Mercy Hospital complex that for years was the territory's only major health care facility. In 1915, construction began on quarters adjoining the hospital for the Sisters of Mercy, who ran the facility. A rectory and Chapel were built first, then a visitation house where friends and relatives of patients could rest, and last a dormitory for the Sisters. The structures were built in the Romanesque revival style of architecture. A fire destroyed most of the original Mercy Hospital building in June 1940, leaving only the convent tripartite as evidence of the past establishment.
The Manzanita Building is significant for the cultural, humanitarian, and medical service that the Sisters of Mercy contributed to the community of Prescott and for the integrity of the original structure.