| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This home, originally built by George Young in 1916, was given to the college after his death in 1928. It is a two-story brick Georgian Revival residence, with a two-story hexastyle Tuscan portico dominating the facade. The building has a hip roof with three interior brick chimneys, and the first floor windows have flat brick arches with projecting keystones and terminal voussoirs. The interior has been renovated twice, once in the early 1960s and once in 1997; it is notable for its elaborate woodwork and staircase. An exterior porch was enclosed in the early 1990s.
Hammet, Ben Hay. The Spirit of Presbyterian College: A Centennial History. Clinton, SC: Presbyterian College, 1982.
South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Thornwell-Presbyterian College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1982.