Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Doyle Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Presbyterian College
Original/Historic Place Name: Alumni Hall
Location on Campus: West Plaza
Date(s) of Construction:
1891original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Walls: originally stucco; now brick veneer
ca. 1891residence hall
ca. 1942infirmary
ca. 1942residence hall (overflow housing)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (vacant)

Presbyterian College is unified around a central mall, in accordance with the campus plan drawn in 1912 by New York City landscape engineer Charles W. Leavitt, Jr. This plan has governed development of the college, thus rendering the newer, non-historic buildings on campus more compatible with the old.

As mentioned above, the college, as well as the Thornwell Home and School for Children, was founded by Dr. Jacobs. Jacobs first came to Clinton at the age of 24 as minister to the First Presbyterian Church of Clinton. Under his guidance Clinton became the center of South Carolina Presbyterianism and as such was the natural choice for the orphanage which had long been Jacob's dream. Five years after the founding of the Orphanage, Jacobs founded Clinton College with the support of local Presbyterians. From the beginning, in accordance with one of Jacob's most ardent wishes, young women could enter any classes on equal footing with men and earn an A.M., or Mistress of Arts degree. In 1890 the name of the college was officially changed to Presbyterian College and control was extended to the South Carolina Synod.


Hammet, Ben Hay. The Spirit of Presbyterian College: A Centennial History. Clinton, SC: Presbyterian College, 1982.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Thornwell-Presbyterian College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1982.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006