Trexler College Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Trexler is an infill structure within the campus fabric. It is an annex attached to the existing Morrison Hall, which was built in 1927. The crescent-shaped façade with floor to ceiling windows and limestone columns echoes the Georgian architecture of C. C. Hook. The curved building configuration focuses the approach to the Center from two primary quadrangles, the Residence Quadrangle and the Diana Courtyard. The curve creates an inclusive space for the semicircular courtyard in front of Trexler. The brick patio with iron tables and chairs gives the students an area in which to socialize, eat, or study between classes.
Trexler focuses student social activity and provides a new entrance to Morrison. There is an open stair to access the post office, copy center, and Student Activities offices located in the lower level of Morrison. The main floor in Trexler houses lounge areas that mimic living rooms, the Student Book Store, and the Jazzman Cafe. The main floor also includes Claudia Belk Dining Room and a conference room.
Jenkins Peer, Architects. Trexler Student Center. Project Descriptions for Queens University of Charlotte. [Charlotte, NC: Jenkins Peer, Architects, n.d.], 3.