Ferry Administration Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
An impressive family estate when built, Roughwood's elegance is well preserved and the beauty of its interior and exterior stonework and woodwork, especially the carved moldings, dark oak paneling, main staircase and multiple fireplaces, continues to impress visitors. Today it is a perfect setting for special events, Board of Trustees meetings, alumnae gatherings, student celebrations, and offices. Used predominantly as administrative offices by the College, Roughwood is admired by all who work there or visit. It is treasured for its architectural significance in the Richardsonian style. An English Georgian style music room, complete with organ loft, was added on the west end of Roughwood in 1909 by architect I. Howland Jones. That room is now known as the Founder's Room. A large hexagonal veranda was demolished to make room for the addition. The organ loft was doubled in size in 1916 to accommodate an 82-stop organ, which was given to the Eliot Church in Newton Center in 1956 by the owners at that time. In 1902 a long, flat-sided oval conservatory with an arched (convex) glass main roof and a reverse curve (concave) pagoda-like cupola roof above was added on the eastern end of Roughwood. However, the entire structure was removed in the mid-1920s and the area seeded back to lawn. In 1951 the dirt drive was replaced by a millstone and cobblestones. Otherwise the exterior of the house remains much as it was originally.
Over time, a number of changes have taken place on the interior to redefine and convert rooms to offices (especially on the second and third level) and, in at least one case, to remove partitions between two small rooms to create one larger one.
Henry, Rodman R. A Chronological Study and Assessment of the Pine Manor Land and Buildings. [Chestnut Hill, MA: Pine Manor College], 1971.
Henry, Rodman R. A Journey in Time: An Architectural History of the Pine Manor Campus. Revised Second Edition. [Chestnut Hill, MA: Pine Manor College], 1986.
Roughwood [Pine Manor]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1985.
"Roughwood: An Estate Marks Its Centennial." Pine Manor College Bulletin (Winter 1991).