Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Hager Administration Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Asbury College
Original/Historic Place Name: Administration Building
Location on Campus: Macklem Dr.
Date(s) of Construction:
1909-1910cornerstone laid June 11, 1909; building in use in Fall, 1910 Stamler, Edward
Designer: Edward Stamler (Lexington, KY)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: poured concrete
Walls: brick and masonry (brick veneer)
Roof: cupola: copper; main roof: shingled; roof on flat back wing: metal and modified bitumen
 
Function:
ca. 1910administration
ca. 1910academic building
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (temporary office space)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (President's Office and all academic, business, and fundraising adminstrative functions)
ca. 2004-present (2006)chapel (rooms have been used as prayer chapels)
 

Narrative:
The Hager Administration Building is one of four buildings facing a semi-circular drive that make up the so-called "face" of campus. Hager was the central academic and administrative structure on campus for at least a dozen years, and its chapel--Talbott Chapel--was the spiritual heart of campus until Hughes Auditorium was built in 1928-1929. Many evangelists, pastors, and missionaries were trained there. Particularly noteworthy was the Student Volunteer Missionary Band, originally organized on campus as part of a national movement in 1898. By 1924 the Asbury branch of the Student Volunteers, which met in Talbott Chapel, was the largest in the U.S.

The building was well-designed by E. Stamler, a prominent local firm, and was carefully and substantially built.The carillon in the tower operates manually and mechanically, playing hymns at noon and 5:00 PM daily when school is in session and at Commencement. The building has also undergone extensive interior renovation several times, but the exterior has been maintained as originally designed. The building was named in 1993 for Dr. Cornelius R. and Ruth Hager. Dr. Hager served three times as president of the College.
 

References:

Asbury College Adminstration Building. Historic Resources Inventory report. Frankfort, KY: State Historic Preservation Office, 1977.

Asbury College Administration Building. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1985.

Hughes, John Wesley. The Autobiography of John Wesley Hughes. Louisville, KY: Pentecostal Publishing Company, 1923.

McKee, Earle Stanley. "The Early History of Asbury College, 1890-1910." M. A. thesis, University of Kentucky, 1926.

McKinley, E. H. "A Brief History of Asbury College, 1890-2001." Unpublished manuscript. 2001.

Morrison, Henry Clay. Some Chapters of My Life Story. Louisville, KY: Pentecostal Publishing Company, 1941.

Thacker, Joseph A. Asbury College: Vision and Miracle. Napanee, IN: Evangelical Press, 1990.

Wesche, Percival A. Henry Clay Morrison: Crusader Saint. Wilmore, KY: Asbury Theological Seminary, 1963.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006