Jane Freeman Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. |
Jane Freeman Hall (front facade, with sculpture of Emily Prudden in foreground), Pfeiffer University
Jane Freeman Hall stands today as the most significant academic building at Pfeiffer Univeristy. However, its role on campus has changed drastically since its construction. Its original design in 1937 housed classrooms in the sciences, the college library, and even housing for faculty. In 1954 the building was converted for use exclusively as a male residence hall. Shortly thereafter (1958) it was altered to provide much needed office and classroom space. The building received a renovation in 1977 and was restored again as recently as 2002.
The building is named after a former treasurer of the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. This provides some historical connection to the roots of the college as a Methodist-affiliated home and mission school founded by Emily Prudden in 1885. A statue of Prudden stands in the green space in front of the building as a marker of the early history of the Oberlin Home and School.
Gore, Phyllis W. A Brief History of the Buildings of Pfeiffer College: 1885-1985. [Misenheimer, NC]: Pfeiffer College, 1985.
Hood, Davyd Foard. Pfeiffer Junior College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1999.
Master plan collection. 1957, 1958, 1961, 1967, 1968, and 2000. Archives, Pfeiffer University, Misenheimer, NC.