Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Marsh Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Pacific University
Original/Historic Place Name: Marsh Memorial Hall
Location on Campus: 2043 College Way
Date(s) of Construction:
1895original construction Whidden & Lewis
1995-1997restoration after fire
Designer: Whidden & Lewis (Portland, OR)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: stone
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 1895chapel (Brighton Chapel)
ca. 1895library
ca. 1895-present (2006)administration
ca. 1895-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (Technical Information Center)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (Division of Social Sciences academic offices)
ca. 2004-present (2006)auditorium (Taylor auditorium)
 

Narrative:
Marsh Hall was named for Pacific University's first president, Rev. Sydney Harper Marsh, who served from 1854 to 1879. The building has a distinctive history of service to the University community. The exterior stonework comes from the old Boos quarry near Gaston. This stone was also used on the Pioneer Post Office in downtown Portland, also designed by Whidden & Lewis.

In March 1975, a fire destroyed the interior of the building. It was restored and modernized over a two-year period.
 

References:

Miranda, Gary, and Rick Read. Splendid Audacity, The Story of Pacific University. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2000.

On Your Own Two Feet, A Self-Guided Tour of Our Historic Campus. Pamphlet. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006