Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Carnegie Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Pacific University
Original/Historic Place Name: Carnegie Library
Location on Campus: College Way
Date(s) of Construction:
1912original construction Whidden & Lewis
Designer: Whidden & Lewis (Portland, OR)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
1912-1967library
1967-present (2006)academic department building (College of Education; media arts)
 

Narrative:
Carnegie Hall was Pacific University's first library building (called Carnegie Library). Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie donated $20,000 for its construction as part of his influential library program, which was responsible for more than 1,600 public libraries and 108 academic libraries nationwide. Pacific had the only academic library built in the Pacific Northwest under the program.

In 1946, $7,000 went into the addition of the mezzanine floor for library expansion; and in 1967, when the Harvey W. Scott Memorial Library was completed, Carnegie Library was remodeled for office space and now houses the College of Education, Pacific University's second largest graduate program.
 

References:

Miranda, Gary, and Rick Read. Splendid Audacity, The Story of Pacific University. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2000.

On Your Own Two Feet, A Self-Guided Tour of Our Historic Campus. Pamphlet. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006