Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Bates House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Pacific University
Original/Historic Place Name: Bates House
Location on Campus: College Way
Date(s) of Construction:
1923original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: wood
Roof: composite
 
Function:
ca. 1923president's house
ca. 1958residence hall (for women honor students)
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices (and Division of Humanities academic offices)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (offices for Dean of Arts & Sciences)
 

Narrative:
Bates House was built in 1923, and four presidents lived there: William C. Weir (1923-1924), John Dobbs (1924-1940), Walter Giersbach (1941-1953), and Charles Armstrong (1953-1958). From 1946 to 1947, $8,000 was spent to renovate the interior of Bates House. Even though President Giersbach still lived in the house during that time, six male students lived in the basement since there was a shortage of post-war housing.

Shortly after President Miller Ritchie began his administration in 1959, the house was named in honor of Rev. Henry Liberty Bates, a former dean of the faculty at Pacific. Bates was also the last principal of Tualatin Academy from 1893-1915.
 

References:

Miranda, Gary, and Rick Read. Splendid Audacity, The Story of Pacific University. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2000.

On Your Own Two Feet, A Self-Guided Tour of Our Historic Campus. Pamphlet. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006