Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Walker Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Pacific University
Original/Historic Place Name: Marsh House
Location on Campus: 2142 College Way
Date(s) of Construction:
1860original construction
1946update and remodeled
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: wood, brick, cement
Walls: wood
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1860president's house
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (under review for rehabilitation)
n.d.academic department building (home economics, music, philosophy)
n.d.residence hall (student and faculty housing)
 

Narrative:
Walker Hall (Marsh House) was built in 1860 as the residence for Pacific University's first president, Rev. Sydney Harper Marsh. In 1946, an estate gift from alumnus Charles L. Walker (class of 1906) provided for an update and remodel of the structure.
 

References:

Miranda, Gary, and Rick Read. Splendid Audacity, The Story of Pacific University. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2000.

On Your Own Two Feet, A Self-Guided Tour of Our Historic Campus. Pamphlet. Forest Grove, OR: Pacific University, 2003.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006