Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Florence Walter Student Service Center

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Our Lady of the Lake University
Original/Historic Place Name: St. Florence Library
Location on Campus: 411 SW 24th St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1947original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: flat bitumen
 
Function:
ca. 1947-2001library
ca. 2001-present (2006)administration
 

Narrative:
The Florence Walter Student Service Center served as the campus library from 1947-2001, when it was renovated for use as a service center for students. It now houses Student Accounts, the Registrar, the Office of Financial Aid, enrollment management, the campus ministry, student employment, and the university assessment center. Additionally, campus police have several offices for training and equipment storage. There are also faculty offices located in the renovated building, the remainder of which will continue to be used for book storage.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006