| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Marianites of Holy Cross, a Catholic congregation of women, founded Our Lady of Holy Cross College in 1916. To prepare teachers for the many schools the Marianites opened in southwest Louisiana, the Louisiana State Board of Education granted the Marianites the right to open a normal school that functioned as Holy Cross Normal. In 1938, the Louisiana State Department of Education approved a program that would lead to the conferring of the Bachelor of Arts degree. The name of the school was then changed to The College Department of the Academy of Holy Angels. In the spring of 1960, the College was moved to its present site, and the name was changed to Our Lady of Holy Cross College.