Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Library and Theatre Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Palm Beach Atlantic University
Original/Historic Place Name: First Baptist Church
Location on Campus: 1101 S. Olive Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1977purchase by the university
n.d.original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Mission/Mission revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: culture, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick and concrete
Roof: tile
 
Function:
ca. 1977old main
ca. 1977chapel (First Baptist Church of Palm Beach)
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms (for theater department)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (theater)
ca. 2004-present (2006)auditorium
ca. 2004-present (2006)library
 

Narrative:
The Library and Theater Building was built by the members of the First Baptist Church of West Palm Beach. Most of the labor was furnished by the members.

Palm Beach Atlantic College was founded in 1968 under the leadership of Jess Moody, pastor of the First Baptist Church and first president of Palm Beach Atlantic. The college shared the building with the Sunday School of First Baptist until the building was purchased by the college in 1977. A floor was constructed above the original auditorium to provide space for the library.

For the first seven years of the college all administrative offices, the bookstore, and most classrooms were located in this structure.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006