Reed Hall of Science and Strickler Planetarium
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Reed Hall of Science is a product of the vision of Dr. Harold W. Reed, president of Olivet from 1949-1975. He conceived this building as the climax of his first ten-year plan for campus development and educational excellence.
From 1940-1965, the science classrooms and laboratories on campus were confined to cramped spaces in two buildings. Reed brought the biological sciences, chemistry, physics and mathematics into one building and initiated the development of the geology and earth sciences departments, together with an adjoining planetarium. The physics department expanded into an engineering program, and the computer science field opened up in the 1970s.
Intensive remodeling of all departments in the past decade has improved educational opportunities. The computer science department is now housed temporarily in the Burke Administration Building. Studies are underway to expand Reed Hall of Science in the near future to provide more space for classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices.
The planetarium was renamed in 1982 to honor the late Dr. Dwight J. Strickler, former chair of the Department of Biological Sciences (1930-1979).