Burke Administration Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Burke Administration Building is an imposing structure at the northwest corner of our campus. Since 1940 it has been the building for academics and administration for Olivet, and for the predecessor school on this campus, St. Viator College (1868-1938).
Olivet moved here in 1940 from its original campus 14 miles south of Danville, IL. This building's construction in 1906 followed a fire that destroyed St. Viator's previous wooden administration building. A tornado in April 1963 also demolished the top two floors and front porch. These were restored in similar style, with the addition of a five-floor elevator.
Recent renovations include glass and metal partitions to create office space out of some hallways, new electrical, lighting, heating, and air conditioning systems, and thermal windows. All offices and most classrooms have access to media retrieval, including several "smart" classrooms. As additional academic buildings have been constructed since 1954, many departments have been moved to those facilities.
Stylish conference rooms are significant features on the main and second floors. The building was renamed in 1950 to honor the late Dr. Edwin Burke, a Chicago dentist who was a member of the board of trustees from 1914-1944 and chairman of the board for 26 of those years.