Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Gold Star Memorial Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Oklahoma City University
Original/Historic Place Name: Gold Star Memorial Building
Location on Campus: (west central) 2501 N. Blackwelder Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1952original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: reinforced concrete
Walls: masonry
Roof: wood shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1952other (language lab)
ca. 1952classrooms
ca. 1952-present (2006)administration (offices)
ca. 2004-present (2006)library (law)
 

Narrative:
During World War II, families of men and women in the armed forces hung stars in their windows for their sons and daughters; a gold star represented the serviceman or woman who had been killed in the line of duty. Methodist churches all over Oklahoma had rosters listing these brave defenders of our way of life. These same churches, as well as many other contributors, saved and donated nickels and dimes to build the Gold Star Memorial Building. The fourteen-story tower is topped with a star that could be seen for miles before the city encompassed it.

Arts & Sciences, the University's backbone, first inhabited the building; then came a language lab, a law school, and finally a law library.
 

References:

Oklahoma Historical Society. Oklahoma City University. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006