| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Oklahoma City University |
Original/Historic Place Name: Fine Arts Building
Location on Campus: (east side) 2501 N. Blackwelder Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
| 1927||original construction |
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
| Materials: |
|Foundation: reinforced concrete|
|Walls: masonry with concrete trim|
|Roof: standing-seam metal|
|ca. 1927-present (2006)||theater|
|ca. 1927-present (2006)||auditorium|
|ca. 1927-present (2006)||academic department building (performing arts)|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||auditorium (recital hall)|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||other (practice rooms)|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||other (scenery and costume workshops)|
The Kirkpatrick Fine Arts Center was the second building on campus. Aviator Charles Lindbergh participated in the groundbreaking ceremony. The building has been the venue for drama, comedy, and opera performances and for many years has been considered one of the city's cultural centers.
Outside the building, raised planters with pygmy barberry hedge are in front, and Bradford pear trees, crepe myrtles, and red maples surround the building.
Oklahoma Historical Society. Oklahoma City University. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.