Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Stuyvesant Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Ohio Wesleyan University
Original/Historic Place Name: Stuyvesant Hall
Location on Campus: 223 West William St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1930original construction
Designer: Mr. & Mrs. Frank Stuyvesant
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: concrete and stone
Walls: finished brick with limestone accents
Roof: tile shingles
ca. 1930residence hall (women)
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence hall (co-ed)

Stuyvesant Hall was completed in 1931 on West William Street as a women's dormitory thanks to a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Frank Stuyvesant of Lakewood, Ohio, whose interest in Ohio Wesleyan was sparked by their neighbors Mr. & Mrs. Erwin G. Guthery and daughter, Katherine Guthery (class of 1925). Construction was proposed in 1929, but the death of Frank Stuyvesant in February of 1930 postponed the ground breaking for several months. Mrs. Stuyvesant continued with the building and included a carillon of chimes in the tower in memory of her late husband. A patio in the rear, a recreation center equipped with a stage, and "date parlors" were all special features of the times.

During World War II, the women were relocated to Austin and Monnett Halls as well as fraternity houses to make room for the V-5 Navy men on campus. Currently it again houses both men and women students.

From National Register report (1985):
Student enrollment had reached nearly 2,000 by 1925, at which time the University received a $1 million endowment for construction of yet another women's dormitory, Stuyvesant Hall. (A dormitory for men was also envisioned, but plans were cut short by the Depression.) Completed in 1931, Stuyvesant provided space for 255 freshmen women, eliminating the need for a freshmen cottage system at Ohio Wesleyan. Built in the Georgian Revival style, the dormitory was located on property acquired by the University and situated between the Monnett and main campuses. The building was placed dramatically on a terraced hillside overlooking a picturesque glen.


Hubbart, Henry Clyde. Ohio Wesleyan's First Hundred Years. Hammond, IN: Conkey Company, 1943 .

Murchland, Bernard, ed. Noble Achievements: The History of Ohio Wesleyan University--From 1942 to 1992. Delaware, OH: Ohio Wesleyan University, 1991.

Stuyvesant Hall [Ohio Wesleyan University]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1985.

Tull, Barbara Mitchell. 150 Years of Excellence--A Pictorial View of Ohio Wesleyan University. Delaware, OH: Ohio Wesleyan University, 1991.

Williams, Judith B. Ohio Wesleyan University Thematic Group. National Register of Historic Places nomination report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1985.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006