| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Elliott Hall was built in 1833 as the Mansion House Hotel, a health resort. Under the leadership of Rev. Adam Poe, minister of William Street Methodist Church, the building was purchased by subscribers in Delaware who presented it to the Methodist Church to establish a men's college. This was accomplished in 1842, and the college soon changed the name of the building to Elliot Hall in honor for Dr. Charles Elliott, an influential man in the Ohio Methodist Conference. Dr. Elliott was a strong advocate for the founding of a Methodist college in central Ohio and recommended the acceptance of the property.
Built of oak and walnut in a modified Greek architecture style, the building was moved from its original site to allow for the construction of University Hall in 1890. The building has undergone major renovations to restore it to its original majestic grandeur. Its three full floors are topped with an oversized cupola inset with several round windows. The main entrance is recessed under a groin vault with stucco covered walls.
Davis, R. Mike. Elliott Hall, Sturges Library and Merrick Hall. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.
Hubbart, Henry Clyde. Ohio Wesleyan's First Hundred Years. Hammond, IN: Conkey Company, 1943 .
Johannesen, Eric. Ohio College Architecture before 1870. [Columbus, OH]: Ohio Historical Society, 1969.
Murchland, Bernard, ed. Noble Achievements: The History of Ohio Wesleyan University--From 1942 to 1992. Delaware, OH: Ohio Wesleyan University, 1991.
Tull, Barbara Mitchell. 150 Years of Excellence--A Pictorial View of Ohio Wesleyan University. Delaware, OH: Ohio Wesleyan University, 1991.
Williams, Judith B. Ohio Wesleyan University Thematic Group. National Register of Historic Places nomination report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1985.