Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Cunningham Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Oakwood College
Original/Historic Place Name: Cunningham Hall
Location on Campus: Oakwood Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1949original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism (Glossary)
Significance: culture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1949dining hall
ca. 1949residence hall (women)
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence hall (some limited lodging for female students)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (adult degree completion program)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (center for academic advancement; financial aid office)
 

Narrative:
Cunningham Hall was built in the 1949-1950 school year for the purpose of housing all female college students. The building was named for Mrs. Eugenia Isabelle Cunningham, a dedicated and sacrificing employee who served Oakwood College as Matron, cook, and other various other positions as the need arose.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006