| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The James L. Moran Hall was originally known as the James L. Moran Administration Building. Moran Hall, as it is now called, is historically significant to Oakwood College because the materials used in the construction of the building were taken from the Oakwood College Rock Quarry, located to the north of the campus. These rocks were carried from the quarry on the bed of a horse-drawn wagon that was operated by students.
Students, under the direction of a building superintendent, constructed the building. Upon completion, the building was named the James L. Moran Administration Building by the Board of Trustees, in honor of Moran who was the first Black president of Oakwood College. J. L. Moran served the institution from 1931-1945.