| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Thomas D. McLaughlin & Associates, of Lima, Ohio, developed the original plan for the college. The Landscape was designed by A.D. Taylor. Construction began in 1926 and was completed in 1928, and the college welcomed students on September 17, 1928. Numerous buildings were planned in the English-Tudor-Gothic ("collegiate") style and arranged in a quadrangle over 53 acres in South Euclid, Ohio. Unfortunately, the Sisters of Notre Dame ran out of money, and only the east and north wings of the first building (now called the Administration Building) could be completed. With the 1929 stock market crash and the ensuing depression, the dreams of developing the 53-acre site were put aside. College life would pass in an incomplete building from 1928 to 1961. Finally, in 1961, the funds were raised to construct the west wing. In 1955, the second building on campus was constructed--Harks Hall, a dormitory for students. Only the Administration Building was built in the original McLaughlin design, and Taylor's landscape design was also never developed.
The Administration Building was placed on the National Register in 1984.
The Sisters of Notre Dame (a German religious, teaching order that came to the USA in 1874) founded Notre Dame College in 1922. College classes were first held at the site of Notre Dame Academy on Ansel Road, Cleveland, from 1922-1928. The college opened in South Euclid in 1928. From 1922 to 2000, NDC was a "women only" college. Men were admitted to all programs in 2001. Today, over 1000 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled, most of whom are communters. NDC is renowned for its education, business, and science degree programs. Most graduates remain in the area following graduation.
Reinhard, Mary Marthe, Rose Cira, and Eric Johannesen. Notre Dame College of Ohio. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1983.