Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Memorial Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Northland College
Original/Historic Place Name: Memorial Hall
Location on Campus: 1515 and 1/2 Ellis Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1926original design Shefchik, Thomas J.
1928original construction Shefchik, Thomas J.
Designer: Thomas J. Shefchik (Duluth, MN)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: poured concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: asphalt shingles with copper trim
 
Function:
ca. 1928dining hall (cafeteria)
1928-present (2006)residence hall (women)
 

Narrative:
Memorial Hall has an attached root cellar for storing food grown by students that goes back to the 1920s when the building was constructed. This building was named as a memorial to all the contributions given to the college when an existing building on campus was razed. At one time it was the campus commons, housing the cafeteria for the entire campus, and it served as a meeting place for both the campus and community. When the Wisconsin primary had particular national significance, many national figures and presidential hopefuls met campus and community members in Memorial Hall. Hubert H. Humphrey and JFK were among those notables to visit Ashland and meet in Memorial Hall. Memorial Hall makes up part of the "room" created by Wheeler Hall and Ponzio Campus Center in a classic quadrangle arrangement.
 

References:

Bernstein, Rebecca Sample. Memorial Hall [Northland College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1995.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006