Glen Helen Ecology Institute
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Glen Helen was the area's center of settlement from 1803 until the mid-1840s. It became a resort area due to its location at the Yellow Spring site, and a hotel associated with the spring existed until the 1870s. During the 1820s a group of Swedenborg Owenites briefly ran the hotel as a utopian community, and a water cure spa existed here until it burned in 1862. One of its last tenants was a commune called the Memnonia Institute, operated by the famous reformers Thomas and Mary Gove Nichols.
Glen Helen has one of the oldest milling sites in Greene County (rights since 1816), and a decaying 1840s gristmill still remains. Vestiges of limestone quarries, the town's most important industry during the nineteenth century, are still visible as well. A group of about 30 former slaves settled there after being brought to Yellow Springs in 1863 to be freed by their master's abolitionist son, the Rev. Moncure D. Conway. Around 1900 a creek was dammed to create a boating lake. Alumnus Hugh Taylor Birch, an attorney and conservationist, acquired the Glen and surrounding farmland, and in 1929 the 1,000-acre plot was given to Antioch as a nature preserve in memory of his daughter, Helen Birch Bartlett. Under Antioch management, Glen Helen became an important open-air laboratory for developing outdoor education programs.
Dober, Richard P. Campus Design. New York: Wiley, 1992.
Dober, Richard P. Campus Landscape: Functions, Forms, Features. New York: Wiley, 2000.