Evan R. Spalt International Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Originally named Corry Hall, this building was constructed using the Youtz-Slick "lift-slab" method, a revolutionary technique of raising buildings in the early 1950s. Concrete floors were raised using motorized jacks that slowly lifted each slab into place on a steel frame. The men's dormitory was closed pending renovation in 1990, and then reopened as the Evan R. Spalt International Center, headquarters of Antioch Education Abroad, which had established an important model for study abroad in 1958.
Building A Campus: One Hundred Years of Architecture at Antioch College. Pamphlet. Dayton, OH: printed for Dayton Art Institute Exhibition, April 1954.