| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Old Main was designed by Chicago's first professional architect, John Mills Van Osdel, who also designed the Executive Mansion in Springfield and the first buildings on the campuses of Northwestern University and the University of Illinois. One of the oldest buildings in DuPage County, Old Main was built in 1870 of local limestone on eight acres of land donated by Naperville businessman Delcar Sleight. In the beginning, when enrollment ranged from 250 to 400 students, Old Main housed the entire College. Its $32,000 construction cost was provided by the citizens of Naperville and Zion Evangelical Church. A south tower was added in 1891. In 1997, the College undertook a $6 million renovation of the beloved structure, which made the building fully handicap accessible, brought a wide variety of student services under one roof, and created additional administrative offices and classrooms. Old Main is once again the hub of campus life.
North Central College & Naperville: A Shared History, 1870-1995. Naperville, IL: North Central College, 1995.
Old Main: Preserving a Tradition. Naperville, IL: North Central College, 1998.
Roberts, Clarence N. A Clear & Steady Light: A Brief History of North Central College. Naperville, IL: North Central College, 1981.
Roberts, Clarence N. North Central College: A Century of Liberal Education, 1861-1961. Naperville, IL: North Central College, 1960.
Savage, Charles. A College In Its Community. Naperville, IL: North Central College, [n.d.].