Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Guest House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Nichols College
Original/Historic Place Name: Tufts House; Marcy House
Location on Campus: 120 Center Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1792original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Federal (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick
Roof: asphalt shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1792private residence
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (college guest house)
 

Narrative:
The Guest House of Nichols College is a federal style building constructed in 1792. It is a long-time residence on Dudley Hill and is located in the center of the Nichols campus, Aaron Tufts was among its residents. Tufts, a former Dudley representative on the Great and General court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the early 1800s, was a doctor, lawyer, and textile manufacturer of some note, as well as a Trustee of Nichols Academy.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006