Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Currier Center

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Nichols College
Original/Historic Place Name: Dudley Hill School, Town of Dudley
Location on Campus: Center Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1893original construction Wilcox, Charles Francis
1997renovation Rosebrooks & Cummings
Designer: Charles Francis Wilcox; Rosebrooks & Cummings
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival, Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: granite
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
1890-ca. mid 20th centuryother (two room schoolhouse)
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms (and offices, Robert C. Fischer Policy & Cultural Institute)
n.d.infirmary
 

Narrative:
The Currier Center is a former two-room public school for six grades as well as a College infirmary. It was renovated in 1997 and is now is the home of the Robert C. Fischer Policy & Cultural Institute, providing a flexible classroom and conference center. It retains much of the features of the original structure. Originally part of Hezekiah Conant's gift to the community in 1893, it was designed by Charles Francis Wilcox, a Providence, Rhode Island architect.

It is a Victorian Eclectic building with elements of the Gothic Revival, Stick, and Romanesque styles. One and one-half stories high, the former primary school house is ridge-hipped with ornamental ventilator. Window openings in the façade are set beneath round relieving arches while the center entry is under a rounded arch. Decorative elements include the granite and water lintels and water table, hipped dormer, and molded cornice.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006