| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Derrick was constructed in 1924 as a residence hall for men. In 1948 the Board of Trustees named the residence hall Derrick Hall in the memory of Sidney Derrick, President of Newberry College from 1918-1930 and a faculty member before and after his presidency. Derrick died in 1948.
Derrick Hall was converted from men's housing to women's housing in 1965. Today Derrick Hall houses 74 women (primarily sophomores). Major renovations to the building were completed in 1948, 1952, 1965 (when it was converted to a woman's housing unit), 1984, 1991, and 2002. The 2002 renovations included remodeling the third-floor student rooms and installing a new fire alarm system. The College remodeled the bathroom and shower areas and replaced the porch roof during the summer of 2003.
Derrick Hall was included in the Newberry College Historic District in 1976 (along with Holland, Keller, and Smeltzer Halls) by the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only building in the Newberry College Historic District that has not had any changes in its function since it was completed over 80 years ago.
Bedenbaugh, Benjamin A. A Centennial History of Newberry College, 1856-1956. Newberry, SC: Newberry College, 1956.
Henry, Gordon C. A History of Newberry College, 1856-1976. Newberry, SC: Newberry College, 1977.
Selected collections. Minutes of the South Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Synod Minutes Collection, James R. Crumley Jr. Archives, Linenburg Memorial Library, Lutheran Theological Seminary, Columbia, SC.
Selected collections. Histories of the South Carolina Lutheran Church.. Congregation History Collection, James R. Crumley Archives, Linenburg Memorial Library, Lutheran Theological Seminary, Columbia, SC.
South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Newberry College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1976.