Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Pennell House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Antioch College
Original/Historic Place Name: Dean House
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
1855original design
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Walls: brick
Roof: tin
ca. 1855administration (Academic Office)
ca. 1855residence hall
ca. 1855-1930private residence
ca. 1930infirmary (Antioch Infirmary)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (student common space)

Pennell was a private residence until the 1930s, when it was converted to the Antioch Infirmary. During the 1970s it housed a Marxist studies program called the Radical Studies Institute. Closed in the 1980s and nearly lost to the wrecking ball, Pennell was saved by a group of interested faculty, alumni, and local residents. Restoration was completed in 1995. Pennell House was built as the home of Rebecca Mann Pennell, a member of the original Antioch faculty and considered the first female college professor with equal status to her male colleagues.


Dean Family Farm Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1994.

"Famed Teachers Home: Landmark or Eyesore?" New York Times, August 19, 1991.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006