Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
G. Stanley Hall Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Antioch College
Original/Historic Place Name: Fels House
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
ca. 1844original design
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, engineering, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick
Roof: tin
 
Function:
ca. 1930administration
ca. 1930faculty offices
ca. 1930private residence
ca. 1930other (Fels Longitudinal Study of Human Development)
1947-1985academic department building (psychology)
1985-present (2006)other (closed)
 

Narrative:
G. Stanley Hall Hall (named for a famous psychologist who taught literature at Antioch as a young man) is one of the two most endangered historic structures on campus. Its importance derives from the Fels Longitudinal Study of Human Development, which continues to the present and provides a baseline for understanding how humans develop and grow. In the 1930s a matching wing was added to an existing farmhouse adjacent to Antioch to make room for the Fels study. In 1947 Fels built a more modern facility, and the building was subsequently used as the home of the Department of Psychology until it was closed in 1985.
 

References:

King, Thomas. "An Ecological Renovation of G. Stanley Hall: A Proposal for an Environmental Resource Center at Antioch College." Unpublished senior project. 1998. Antioch College, Yellow Springs, OH.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006