Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Chapman Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Mount Union College
Original/Historic Place Name: College Hall
Location on Campus: center of campus
Date(s) of Construction:
1864original construction Porter, Simeon
1966-1967completely remodeled
Designer: Simeon Porter
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival, Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: sandstone on concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: wood truss with asphalt shingles and rubber
 
Function:
ca. 1864other (literary society halls)
ca. 1864museum
ca. 1864library
1864-present (2006)faculty offices
1864-present (2006)classrooms
 

Narrative:
Built in 1864, Chapman Hall is a five-story brick, steel, and concrete structure that was the first facility constructed on Mount Union College's campus. The principle humanities classroom facility, Chapman Hall is named in honor of Professor Ira O. Chapman, who was associated with the College from the fall of 1851 to the time of his death in 1880 and was instrumental in keeping the institution on its feet in the early years.

Once known as College Hall, the building was dedicated by United States Treasury Secretary Salmon P. Chase, who learned during the ceremony that he was appointed Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

Chapman Hall was gutted and completely rebuilt in 1966-1967, but its Romanesque influences can still be seen today. It houses 30 faculty offices, 30 classrooms, an accounting laboratory, an audio-visual room, and student and faculty lounges.

This beautiful Mount Union landmark is perhaps the most recognizable symbol of the College and its rich tradition and history. The center of Mount Union's academic life and its campus, Chapman Hall once housed the library and literary society halls, in addition to classrooms and offices. One of the highlights of Chapman Hall was its museum, built in 1868. It housed an Egyptian mummy and stuffed gorilla and was the College's main attraction, remaining on campus until the mid-1900s.

Chapman Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

References:

Johannesen, Eric. Mount Union College District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1972.

Johannesen, Eric. Ohio College Architecture Before 1870. Columbus, OH: Ohio Historical Society, 1969.

Osborne, Newell Yost. A Select School: The History of Mount Union College and An Account of a Unique Educational Experiment, Scio College. Alliance, OH: Mount Union College, 1967.

Saffell, John E. Wake the Echoes: An Updated History of Mount Union College. Alliance, OH: Mount Union College, 1996.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006