Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Science Building

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Antioch College
Original/Historic Place Name: Science Hall
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
1930original design Eastman & Budke
1959remodeled after fire destroyed attic; addition of fourth floor and installation of current roof
Designer: Eastman & Budke
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/pre-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, engineering, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: tar, gravel
 
Function:
ca. 1930other (research and industry; Kettering Foundation)
1930-present (2006)faculty offices
1930-present (2006)classrooms (with laboratory)
 

Narrative:
Originally built in 1930, the Science Building was modified in 1959 after a fire destroyed the attic. A fourth floor was added and the current flat roof put in place. Science Hall represents a direct relationship with inventor and business leader Charles F. Kettering. It was built entirely with funds provided by "Boss Ket" to provide not only modern lab and classroom space for the college but also to conduct his photosynthesis research, a project which became the Kettering Foundation. While Arthur Morgan was president of the college(1921-1936) he cultivated a climate of research by attracting inventors and scientists with lab space, and Science spawned important local industries, including Vernay Labs Inc. and Yellow Springs Instrument Co.
 

References:

Alst, James Van. "Academic and Science Buildings." Architectural Forum 54 (June 1931): 751-60.

"Antioch College." Architectural Forum 54 (June 1931): 738.

Building A Campus: One Hundred Years of Architecture at Antioch College. Pamphlet. Dayton, OH: printed for Dayton Art Institute Exhibition, April 1954.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006