| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Along with Antioch Hall and North Hall, South Hall is one of the three original buildings of Antioch. South Hall was built as a men's dormitory, a role it performed until it was closed in 1965. During World War II it housed the Antioch ASTP unit and thus served essentially as a barracks for the 1942-1943 academic year. After it ceased housing students, South was largely abandoned, though some rooms were used as art studios. South underwent a massive renovation beginning in 1989, however, and in 1994 it reopened as an academic building.
Alexander, W. B. "The Architectural Ancestry of Antioch Hall." Antioch Alumni Bulletin (February 1938): 3-9.
Building A Campus: One Hundred Years of Architecture at Antioch College. Pamphlet. Dayton, OH: printed for Dayton Art Institute Exhibition, April 1954.
Ingram, Valerie. Antioch Hall, North and South Halls [Antioch College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.
Johannesen, Eric. Ohio College Architecture Before 1870. [Columbus, OH?]: Ohio Historical Society, 1969.
Straker, Robert L. "The Master Builder From Massachusetts." In Horace Mann and Others: Chapters from the History of Antioch College. Yellow Springs, OH: Antioch Press, 1963.