Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Grotto of our Lady of Lourdes

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Mount Aloysius College
Original/Historic Place Name: Grotto of our Lady of Lourdes
Location on Campus: 7373 Admiral Peary Hwy.
Date(s) of Construction:
1918original construction Koening, Edward J.
Designer: Edward J. Koening
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history, landscape, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1918-present (2006)outdoor space
1918-present (2006)memorial site
 

Narrative:
Standing near the lower edge of the campus is a limestone replica of the shrine at Lourdes, France. The shrine was designed by Chicago landscape artist Edward J. Koening and stands 20 feet high and 38 feet in width. It was donated by the Kemper family (through Sister M. Hildegarde Kemper) in memory of their parents, Bernard and Magdalene Kemper. A plaque of thanksgiving there is inscribed: "In memoriam of the preservation from the (influenza) epidemic of 1918-1919 this tablet is gratefully inscribed in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes by the families and pupils of Mount Aloysius Academy, Cresson, PA February 11, 1919 (Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes)."

The Grotto has been well maintained over the years and is in good condition.
 

References:

Derck and Edson Associates. Campus Master Plan. [Lititz, PA: Derck and Edson Associates], September 2000.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006