| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This four-story, brick dormitory with gabled roof and Palladian windows was originally built in 1852-1853 and remained in its original form until a serious fire in 1953 destroyed most of the interior. It was remodeled and reopened in 1954. Along with Antioch Hall and South Hall, North is one of the three original buildings of Antioch. It was the only one actually completed the day of Horace Mann's inaugural in 1853, and it served as the executive residence while construction lagged on the president's house through 1855.
Alexander, W. B. "The Architectural Ancestry of Antioch Hall." Antioch Alumni Bulletin (February 1938): 3-9.
Building A Campus: One Hundred Years of Architecture at Antioch College. Pamphlet. Dayton, OH: printed for Dayton Art Institute Exhibition, April 1954.
Ingram, Valerie. Antioch Hall, North and South Halls [Antioch College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.
Johannesen, Eric. Ohio College Architecture Before 1870. [Columbus, OH?]: Ohio Historical Society, 1969.
Straker, Robert L. "The Master Builder From Massachusetts." In Horace Mann and Others: Chapters from the History of Antioch College. Yellow Springs, OH: Antioch Press, 1963.