Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Danforth Chapel

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Morehouse College
Original/Historic Place Name: Danforth Chapel
Location on Campus: campus quad
Date(s) of Construction:
1955original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: culture, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
1955-present (2006)chapel
 

Narrative:
In the late 1940s, William H. Danforth, President of the Ralston-Purina Company, made a grant to the College for construction of a small chapel. The Chapel was originally located next to the original President's house, although that structure was torn down in the 1970s. Danforth Chapel is used for quiet meditative sessions, small religious ceremonies, and intimate weddings. The building contains a haunting painting of Jesus Christ in Gethsemane, stained-glass windows, and a pulpit stand.

Many marital unions are celebrated in Danforth Chapel, particularly between Morehouse men and Spelman women.
 

References:

Bacote, Clarence A. The Story of Atlanta University, A Century of Service, 1865-1965. Atlanta, GA: Atlanta University, 1969.

Campus Master Plan, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, 2002.

Carter, Edward R. The Black Side; A Partial History of the Business, Religious, and Educational Side of the Negro in Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta, GA, 1894.

Jones, Edward A. A Candle in the Dark, A History of Morehouse College. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1967.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006