| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This 24,464 square foot building with a 700-seat auditorium at one time housed administrative offices, classrooms, and the campus library. It was also the location of an academy (high school) until City and State accreditation requirements necessitated its removal from the campus circa 1922-1923.
In the past, the auditorium, like its predecessor the Martin Luther King Chapel, was the place wherein the young men of Morehouse gathered, including the late Dr. King himself. There they listened to lectures and speeches delivered by Dr. Benjamin E. Mays and other historically prominent individuals. Presently, the auditorium is used for performances, meetings, and other gatherings. The Howard Thurman Meditation Room, a repository for the Thurman papers, is located on the second floor of the building.
Bacote, Clarence A. The Story of Atlanta University, A Century of Service, 1865-1965. Atlanta, GA: Atlanta University, 1969.
Campus Master Plan, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, 2002.
Carter, Edward R. The Black Side; A Partial History of the Business, Religious, and Educational Side of the Negro in Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta, GA, 1894.
Jones, Edward A. A Candle in the Dark, A History of Morehouse College. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1967.