Martin Luther King International Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1978 and named for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the Chapel has a seating capacity of 2500 and is used for convocations, religious services, and artistic performances. Etched into the marble lobby walls are excerpts of speeches of the late Dr. King. On the plaza in front of the building is a life-size bronze statue of Dr. King that sits on a pedestal also etched with excerpts from Dr. King.
At the West end of the plaza is the Howard Thurman Memorial, which includes an obelisk shaped carrel, a fountain, and quotes of Dr. Thurman etched into the surrounding walk. This chapel serves as the house of spiritual development of Morehouse men. As an auditorium, it serves the cultural needs of the surrounding community as well as the college community. Many prominent speakers and performers regularly grace its stage.
Bacote, Clarence A. The Story of Atlanta University, A Century of Service, 1865-1965. Atlanta, GA: Atlanta University, 1969.
Campus Master Plan, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, 2002.
Carter, Edward R. The Black Side; A Partial History of the Business, Religious, and Educational Side of the Negro in Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta, GA, 1894.
Jones, Edward A. A Candle in the Dark, A History of Morehouse College. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1967.