| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Antioch Hall went largely unchanged until 1910 when its chapel was converted into a gymnasium. The building underwent a major renovation in 1959, when its original three-story interior was gutted and enlarged to four stories, and a new front entrance was installed on what was once the rear of the building.
Main is the historic center of all campus activity. Its lofty appearance and cross-shaped layout embodies the spirit and aims of Antioch's founders, the Christian Connexion. It is a good example of the Gothic and Romanesque revival styles popular in the mid-nineteenth century. So familiar are its towers that the building is often erroneously attributed to James Renwick, architect of the Smithsonian Institution. As Antioch's most recognizable landmark, in a sense Main Building represents Antioch itself.
Alexander, W. B. "The Architectural Ancestry of Antioch Hall." Antioch Alumni Bulletin (February 1938): 3-9.
Borchers, Perry E. Main Hall [Antioch College]. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1959.
Building A Campus: One Hundred Years of Architecture at Antioch College. Pamphlet. Dayton, OH: printed for Dayton Art Institute Exhibition, April 1954.
Dober, Richard P. Campus Design. New York: Wiley, 1992.
Dober, Richard P. Campus Landscape: Functions, Forms, Features. New York: Wiley, 2000.
Gaines, Thomas A. The Campus as a Work of Art. New York: Praeger, 1991.
Ingram, Valerie. Antioch Hall, North and South Halls [Antioch College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.
Johannesen, Eric. Ohio College Architecture Before 1870. [Columbus, OH?]: Ohio Historical Society, 1969.
Kidney, Walter C. Historic Buildings of Ohio. Pittsburgh: Ober Park Associates, 1972.
Straker, Robert L. "The Master Builder From Massachusetts." In Horace Mann and Others: Chapters from the History of Antioch College. Yellow Springs, OH: Antioch Press, 1963.
Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.