Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Alumni Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Mount Aloysius College
Original/Historic Place Name: Alumnae Hall
Location on Campus: 7373 Admiral Peary Hwy.
Date(s) of Construction:
1902original construction Longfellow, Alden & Harlow
Designer: Longfellow, Alden & Harlow
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone and mortar
Walls: brick and mortar
Roof: terracotta tile
 
Function:
ca. 1902gymnasium
1902-present (2006)theater
1902-present (2006)auditorium (recital hall; multi-purpose room for theater, visiting speakers, and banquets)
 

Narrative:
Alumni Hall, a gift to Mount Aloysius Academy from steel magnate Charles M. Schwab of Loretto, was constructed in 1902. Its architects, Longfellow, Alden and Harlow, designed this music hall in red brick with a terra cotta roof as a complement to the existing Main Building. Its vaulted ceiling and wooden beams provide excellent acoustics for both drama and music. Windows of stained glass honor classical musicians. This one-story building with balcony and basement is currently used for music performances, theater, lectures, and as a meeting and dining room. The building needs modernization but is structurally sound and in good overall condition.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006