Main Street Campus
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Hamilton Hall, exact date unknown-pre 1889; originally known as the "Resident Professor's House"
This building was originally acquired through the purchase of the original site of the campus. It was remodeled and repaired to serve as the house of the Resident Professor. Hamilton Hall currently houses a 24/7 computer lab and the Health Center.
Zinzendorf 1891, originally known as the "Refectory"
Built in 1891, the Refectory, as it was known, was the first building erected on the campus of Moravian College. This three-story brick building was thirty feet by sixty-two in size, with basement, a dining hall, kitchen, laundry, janitor's and servants' flat, and a complete and comfortably arranged infirmary for the care of the sick. Zinzendorf currently houses the College's English and Philosophy departments and the Writing Center.
Comenius Hall 1892
Comenius Hall was and is today a massive structure and the campus' signature building. When constructed, the college hall was one hundred and ten feet by sixty feet and four stories in height above the basement. On the main floor were classrooms, administration, and professors' offices. The upper stories were divided into suites of students' rooms--a study and a bedroom for each set of two or three students. In the basement was a temporary gymnasium, a physical laboratory, and a steam-heating plant sufficient to heat the entire group of buildings. Adjoining it to the north is the Memorial Chapel and to the south the Memorial Library. Today Comenius is home to College Central Services, as well as the departments of History, Economics and Business, Political Science, Religion, Foreign Language, and numerous classrooms.
Helen Stadiger Borhek Memorial Chapel 1893
The Memorial Chapel adjoins Comenius Hall to the north and measures thirty-six by fifty feet. The stately sanctuary gives the impression of beauty, dignity, and repose. The choicest adornment consists of beautiful stained glass windows--three large and several smaller ones. Borhek Chapel continues to function as a chapel today for College religious services, weddings, memorials, etc.
Harvey Memorial Library 1908
The Memorial Library adjoins Comenius Hall to the south. It is a four story building and completed the originally designed group of buildings. The first two floors accommodated a capacity of no less than 25,000 volumes. The balcony was utilized as a Museum, and on the ground floor was a large assembly hall. The fourth floor was opened in 1910 as a "Students' Hall" intended for literary, musical, and social purposes and as the permanent home for the Comenian Literary Society. Today this building functions as an extension of Comenius Hall, i.e the second floor is the home of Business and Economics. The first floor houses the College's Department of Continuing and Graduate Studies.
Monocacy Hall 1912
This building was erected as a gymnasium. It is currently under renovation and will be the new home of the Office of Academic Affairs, International Studies, and Learning Services.
Bethlehem of Pennsylvania; The First One Hundred Years, 1741 to 1841. Bethlehem, PA: Bethlehem Book Committee, Chamber of Commerce, 1968.
Levering, Joseph Mortimer. History of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1741-1892. Bethlehem, PA: Bethlehem Chamber of Commerce, 1968.
Schwarze, William Nathaniel. History of The Moravian College and Theological Seminary, Founded at Nazareth, Penna., August 30, 1858. Nazareth: PA, Times Publishing Company, 1909.