| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Quinby House was designed by noted Chicago architect John C. Cochrane, who was responsible for much for the design of many of Chicago's public buildings following the Great Chicago Fire. His firm also designed the Illinois and Iowa State Capitols. Completed in 1867, the house remained in the Quinby family for nearly a century until it was donated to Monmouth College in 1965. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. In 1997, it received a complete renovation, largely funded through a historic preservation grant from the Illinois Department of Transportation in recognition of Quinby's role in helping establish the Peoria and Oquawka Railroad.
Davenport, F. Garvin. Monmouth College: The First Hundred Years. Cedar Rapids, IA: Torch Press, 1953.
Meyer, Daniel, and Jeffrey D. Rankin. A Thousand Hearts' Devotion: A History of Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL: Monmouth College, 2002.