| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Named for the first president of Monmouth College, the Rev. David Alexander Wallace (1826-1883), Wallace Hall was built on the site of the original college building, "Old Main," which burned in 1907. It was completed in just 15 months due to the extraordinary fundraising efforts of President T.H. McMichael, who persevered in seeing the building constructed despite difficult financial times for the college. Designed by the noted Peoria, Illinois architect Herbert E. Hewitt, the Georgian Revival building originally housed elegant rooms for the college's literary societies on the top floor. Its wood and metal cupola is the signature image for the college and appears on the college logo. The building has received several renovations in recent years, but its exterior remains essentially unchanged.
Davenport, F. Garvin. Monmouth College: The First Hundred Years. Cedar Rapids, IA: Torch Press, 1953.
Meyer, Daniel, and Jeffrey D. Rankin. A Thousand Hearts' Devotion: A History of Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL: Monmouth College, 2002.