| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The gable end of the Harbor House faces the street and has an open-bed pediment. A one-story front porch has been enclosed. This was apparently done in the early 20th century, as the room made by the porch enclosure has a brick fireplace. Windows have replacement sash of varying styles and dates. An ell on the south side has a brick chimney with a corbelled panel and a course of cut brick.
The Harbor House is a good later example of the Greek Revival style. The open-bed pediment is characteristic of the style. Later additions are typical of the reworking which was done to homes in this neighborhood in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The Harbor House was originally constructed in 1853, shortly after the railroad came to New London. The rail connection brought industry to nearby Fort Neck, along with an influx of summer visitors to the Pequot Colony. The house may have been constructed as rental property to take advantage of this boom. Additions made in the late 19th or early 20th century may have been inspired by the demand for seasonal rental. This house is part of a late 19th/early 20th century neighborhood where Eugene O'Neill spent much of his childhood.