| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The interior of Provine Chapel has been maintained, and sometimes modified (primarily downstairs), through the years. The original design included a bell tower over the entry that was removed in 1910. The building was restored in 1962-1963 and has been refurbished at other times. Some original pews were preserved in the balcony but little used. Tradition says Frank Lloyd Wright called this one of the finest existing examples of New-Grecian architecture. During the Civil War the Chapel was occupied briefly by both Confederate and Union soldiers passing through the town, and one small skirmish was fought on the campus. Since the local church shared with the college in the ownership, maintenance, and regular usage of the building from 1860 to 1923, the Chapel was a social center for the community. More importantly, it was a major channel of denominational influence, from student life to the highest levels of Baptist leadership through the years, both in the state and in the denomination as a whole. The name Provine Chapel is not original to the building but was chosen in 1968 to honor the name a renowned chemistry professor and president of the college from 1895-1898 and again from 1911-1932. In spite of changing details--air conditioning to replace fireplaces, for instance--the venerable chapel has remained a symbol of constancy, linking the modern Mississippi College with its illustrious and sometimes heroic past.
Butters, James. Chapel [Mississippi College]. Historic American Buildings Survey photograph. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1936.